SEMP or Free Mover

Students from partner universities can come to the NTB under the Swiss European Mobility Programme (SEMP). You will find more information about how to apply below. We also welcome applications from Free Movers.

Bachelor in Systems Engineering

This degree programme offers a range of options. You will find further information about fields of study and module descriptions below. Please note that all undergraduate courses are currently taught in German.


Organisational matters (in German):

Module descriptions (in German):

Grading scale

  • 6 = excellent (ECTS grade A)
  • 5.5 = very good (ECTS grade B)
  • 5 = good (ECTS grade C)
  • 4.5 = satisfactory (ECTS grade D)
  • 4.0 = pass (ECTS grade E)
  • 3.5-0 = fail (ECTS grade FX/F)

Master's degree programmes

Please go to Master's degree programmes for more information.

Application procedure and documents

If you come from a partner university and wish to apply to us under Erasmus, the application procedure  begins at your home university.

Once you have been nominated by your home university, we look forward to receiving your application.

It is important to know that Switzerland is currently not an Erasmus programme country. Study grants are paid under the Swiss European Mobility Programme. You sign an SEMP Declaration of Obligations and you will receive your grant when you arrive in Switzerland.

Free Movers are also welcome to apply.

Please note our application deadlines:

31 May for the autumn semester
30 November for the spring semester


General information


The NTB does not have a hall of residence. Students at the NTB rent rooms in or near Buchs or St Gallen as appropriate. Please contact the International Office if you need support in finding accommodation.

Entry regulations for Switzerland

Information on the current entry regulations can be found on the homepage of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs and the State Secretariat for Migration. Citizens of the EU/EFTA need valid ID documents. If you are staying for longer than 90 days, you are required to register with the local authorities and apply for a residence permit. If in any doubt, please contact the International Office.


Everyone living in Switzerland is required to take out a health insurance policy within three months of moving to the country. As an exchange student on a short-term stay, you may apply for exemption from the Swiss insurance scheme if you can provide proof of equivalent insurance abroad (e.g. European health insurance card). 

We generally recommend third-party liability insurance. In some cases, this is required by landlords when they let rooms.

If you have any questions, please contact the International Office.